Why I like Comic books

6.12.15 Valens 0 Comments


Growing up, I was aware of the comic book culture, but as the stereotype of its readers was very evident, I was never given a chance to give them a try. I had first met with the culture a couple of years ago, when I was persuaded into watching The amazing Spider-Man. It was then that I realised that I find this type of films very enjoyable, and proceeded watching all the others. My purchase of a comic book was nothing but a random incident, for if my sister hadn't shown me the graphic novels shelf in a bookshop, I probably never would have gotten any. It hasn't even been a year, and yet I'm already neck deep in the Marvel universe. 

To begin with the most obvious, the graphics and drawings are incredible. When I first opened a marvel comic book, I almost squealed. As opposed to the lousy slovenian ones, these were colorful on glossy-ish paper, detailed and clever. Now that I'm in it for a while, I'm also starting to notice more details in the characters' forms and sense a certain style at a given artist's work. My favourite comics in terms of graphics are Electra and Hawkeye.
Electra: Bloodlines
Hawkeye: My life as a weapon

The storyline of a certain comic is very dependent on the reader's preferences. Once you find a superhero you like, the chances of being disappointed are very small. With the older and more popular ones, the story is undoubtedly well written, connected to actual historical events and interwoven with stories of other heroes. With lesser known and newer characters, the storyline is usually composed of certain missions they are given. I'm a big fan of the Captain  America comics, which, with its rich history never leaves you empty-handed. However, my favourite comic book by far is Winter Soldier, which follows Bucky Barnes' missions and general adventures with  Black Widow (Natasha Romanov). As they both have a long history in Soviet Russia, and are both trained assassins, who prefer attacking an army base over going out to regular dinner, they make an awesome couple.
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Winter Soldier
One last thing that makes comic books great is the fan community, where people join to analyse and create theories, make fan art, edits and please their obsession without receiving any sort of judgement from anyone.

Do you read comic books? Which are your favourite ones?

x, Valens

0 comments: