Mediocre Memories

1.3.18 Valens 0 Comments


At the end of every summer, social platforms tend to get overtaken with throwback posts that reminisce on good times spent with a variety of people in a variety of locations. Although this ''phenomena'' is most abundant at the very end of the summer, it never exactly comes to a stop, i.e. it is everpresent throughout the whole year. Naturally, I, too, dip my toes into the waters of nostalgia, however, in the past year or so, it had come to my attention, that I'm most nostalgic about completely mediocre moments of my travels. For example, I'd be going about my day, when a feeling would wash over me (as it does), and I'd suddenly find myself wanting to walk around a parking lot in Rovinj, or freezing my coastal meditterranean butt off while wearing a spring jacket on cold and foggy Holmenkollen, or waiting for dinner time in a hotel room on the outskirts of Stockholm. Compared to all the great adventures and museums and sights we all experience on our travels, talking about gray parking lots and the tiles in the bathroom of my hotel room in Stockholm is nothing short of being inexplicably boring/uninteresting. However, upon giving this topic a bit more thought, I've reached some form of a philosophical conclusion (who would I be if I didn't at least try to sneak some philosophy in my posts).

Here's the thing: travel has never been and never will be nowhere near being completely stress-free and flawless. We've all endured the loss of certain objects, various stages of cultural shock, misunderstandings with the locals due to the language barriers etc. While paying a visit to all the standard tourist attractions is undeniably great and provides a great opportunity for all the instagrammable (or generally just sharable) photos, we all now that that is no way to truly experience a location you're exploring. Thus, like the photos that are taken on those tourist attractions, everything is posed. A country/city is best experienced when the traveler steps off the beaten path and weaves into the spaces that genuinely belong to the locals instead of the tourists. In addition, if and when the traveler opts for a packed schedule consisting only of landmarks+tourist attractions, the times that are best remembered are the mediocre ones. Simply because in those, the traveler isn't merely passing by certain aspects of a location in order to take the general photos and run along to stay within the assigned schedule, but instead exists in it. Waiting in line at a grocery store only to buy a snack and a bottle of water, we notice the interaction between locals, we see what kind of food the locals like, we get a better undrstanding of the place we're visiting than we would had we only been mingling around the tourist attractions. Similarly, walking down a parking lot in Rovinj got me to encapsulate the summer heat, especially due to the overheated asphalt, that would give me 2nd degree burns had I been so reckless as to step onto it barefoot. 

The mediocre moments are the ones that make the travel real, they make us aware of our existence in that place. It is a shame to go to a city and not see it in its true form. So next time, when you find yourself somewhere completely without context, do yourself a favour and take it in, appreciate it for what it is, pay attention to details that make the space unique or genuine, and maybe you too will find yourself being nostalgic about completely mediocre things instead of the spotlight moments, thus having your trip immortalised in mediocre memories. 

(All photos are taken somewhere in between on a select few of my travels)

To what extent do you agree with me? Do you prefer the tourist attractions or the hidden gems?

x, Valens

0 comments: