Scandinavia: Copenhagen

22.10.17 Valens 0 Comments


In my relatively short existence so far, I've (amongst all else) learned one thing: if you look forward to something, it will pass by sooner. Thus, when faced with hard/stressful occasions/situations, I make myself look forward to them, knowing full well it will be over before I know it. Similarly, when faced with positive occasions, I try my best not to think too much of it, to stop trying to bring the occasion and instead leave it on its place in the calendar. This is exactly what I had done upon finding out that I'm going to Scandinavia, and time flies when you're having a good time, alas the last day came and left me feeling morose/blue.


We arrived in Copenhagen somewhere after 9am and set to see the statue of the Litttle Mermaid. As we were there when Iron Man was in full swing, we had to reach it on foot. The surprisingly small statue was host to a horde of Asian tourists that wouldn't budge a single bit to allow others a quality photo opportunity, nevertheless, we made do. Next, we continued down the coast past the St. Alban church towards the Royal Palace, where we tuned in to the changing of the guard. Afterwards we took a look inside Marmokirken and used it as shelter while the weather had its moody episode. As we were tied to our flight at 7pm, we lastly took to Nyhavn for a boat tour, which took us all around many canals of Copenhagen and showed us some intruguing landmarks located a bit outside the very core of the city. Cue time for lunch in the Town Hall square, which my sister and I spent shopping for souvenirs, hoarding books (which are souvenirs as well, but I consider them a category of its own), and drinking Starbucks coffee (desperate times call for desperate measures). 


As I mentioned in the beginning, things you're excited about pass by much faster, and so it was time to say our goodbyes to Scandinavia, fully certain of our return. Despite having spent the least amount of time in the city, Copenhagen (and the entire country of Denmark for that matter) remains my favorite of the four capitals I visited on this trip. Even with its incredibly moody weather (seriously, its worse than what they make the UK to be). It's highly likely Meik Wiking's The Little Book of Hygge (which I bought as a souvenir from said country) is to blame, as it simultaneously makes me identify with the danish culture (as I'm already doing many of the things the book mentions), and makes me itch to take part in activities/customs the Danes are keen on doing.

Have you been to Denmark before? I'd love to hear about your expreience below in the comments! 

x, Valens

0 comments: