Life lately

17.7.17 Valens 0 Comments


It has undoubtedly been a while. This year marks the end of my high school education and the step further into university. Understandably, between studying for my final exams and practicing for my acceptance exams, there was hardly any free time left. And whatever time I had had to myself I diligently spent reading or catching up with my tv series (as one does). With July 10th all my schoolwork was officially done, and I am now left to my own devices, waiting to see what my future is going to be starting October 1st. Either way, having 3 whole months on my hands is more than enough time to get back on track with my idea of blogging.

Plans for summer

As always, I am planning no less than two daytrips to Venice, one to see the Viva Arte Viva Biennale Exhibition, and one to further discover the backalleys of the magnificent city. I'd also quite like to take the vaporetto (water bus) to the neighboring islands, mainly San Michele (the cemetery, to see Joseph Brodsky's grave) and Burano. 
Sailing around the Croatian coast is always on the agenda, however it saddens me to say that I won't get to see Rovinj this summer, as a large proportion of its coastal area is under construction, the marina has been torn down in order to have a new one built instead.
To commemorate my matura, my sister and I have decided to discover new corners of Europe. In August, we will be spending a week in Scandinavia, discovering the countries by plane, boat and bus. As Paris is currently the furthest I have ever been from home, and have not yet stepped foot on a plane, saying that I am looking forward to this trip is more than an understatement. 
Last week I took a trip to Vrsar and the past Saturday was spent rediscovering Aquileia and Grado. In a similar sense I might just visit Verona and Vicenza this summer. 
Above and in spite of it all, I plan on reading the hell out of my books, as I have acquired quite a collection over the past two years, and the books are not going to read themselves.

Music

Around 6 months ago the Slovene radio staions started playing Kaleo's Way Down We Go. Sometime later I found Save Yourself and No Good, but it took me until June to really comprehend the wide range of music the Icelandic band offers. I can't recall the last time I bought an album in the physical form, but let me tell you, I didn't even hesitate when buying A/B. Anyways, it doesn't hurt to check out some of their music, in fact, I strongly encourage you to do that.

Current favourite song: I can't go on without you
(look at me slapping links everywhere I go)

Film and television

I went to see Spider-Man Homecoming the other day, I enjoyed the film very much, and am very happy it silenced the reboot skeptics.

I was left gobsmacked at the end of Doctor Who's season 10, and am very excited at the revelation of the 13th Doctor, Jodie Whittaker!
As a fan of both Sherlock and Doctor Who, it was only a matter of time before Supernatural came to drag me into the ninth circle of hell, also known as Superwholock. In other words: I started watching Supernatural. To be completely honest, I take this to be one of my more stupid decisions, given that I can't handle anything remotely scary, and that I have 12 seasons worth of catching up to do. Nevertheless, I'm at the end of season 2 and have only had one nightmare, so I have my fingers crossed it stays that way. The series definitely did surpass my expectations, as once you get over the initial fear of all things unholy, you realise it's actually a very funny show with some dramatic elements and a great amount of action.

Books

The last two weeks had me in turbo reading mode, I managed to read Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, George Orwell's 1984, and Clarice Lispector's Agua Viva.

This summer I'm set to read the following books:
Evelyn Waugh - Labels
Henry Miller - The Colossus of Maroussi
Thomas Hardy - Two on a Tower
Brian Clegg - A Brief History of Infinity
F. S. Fitzgerald - The Beautiful and Damned
Virginia Woolf - Mrs. Dalloway
Bruno Munari - Design as Art

What will you be up to this fine summer?

x, Valens

0 comments: