Venice in winter

13.1.17 Valens 2 Comments



If there are any genuine readers of this blog, you may recall a review of Joseph Brodsky's collection of essays on Venice titled Watermark. What was at the very beginning just another book, quickly turned into an unidentified form of connection with the city of Venice. If travel were a religion, Venice would be the holy city, and Watermark would be the Bible. As it had been done in August, we arrived to the city by train in the early morning hours. The day couldn't have possibly begun without a caffeine fix, thusly the first stop was made in the café closest to the train station. First on the itinierary was Ca' Pesaro - the museum of modern and oriental art, which is situated in Santa Croce. There we took a look at various artworks from various periods such as Picasso, Kandinsky, Mirò, Dalì etc. Besides the permanent collection, there was also an exhibition of Coco Chanel titled The woman who reads. The collection consisted of various books, designs, letters, notes and notebooks. Aside from the art situated inside the palace, Ca' Pesaro could be a museum all on its own. It reminded me of Brodsky's words:

“This city doesn’t qualify to be a museum, being itself a work of art, the greatest masterpiece our species produced. You don’t revive a painting, let alone a statue. You leave them alone, you guard them against vandals, whose hordes may include yourself.”

When one strolls through the rooms, they encounter themselves in doubt as to what admire first. The floors are sheathed in somewhat subtle motifs, whereas the ceilings are endowned with depictions of biblical scenes, surrounded with an abundance of gold decorations. Undoubtedly an unmissable experience.

Afterwards, we continued past the Venetian market over Ponte Rialto towards Palazzo Contarini del Bovolo, where we purchased tickets to climb the spiral stairs. What makes this palace especially unique is its location, as it is hidden among multiple back alleys. In addition, Palazzo Contarini del Bovolo presents a great alternative for those unwilling to climb to the top of Campanile San Marco, as it offers a beautiful view of Venetian rooftops with various belltowers (along with Basilica San Marco) standing out. After having climbed the stairs and taken a look inside the Tintoretto room, we proceeded towards Piazza San Marco, along with a pit stop at La Fenice. Lastly followed a visit to the Querini Stampalia bookshop and the famous Acqua Alta, which was for me quite a disappointment. Afterwards, all stops we made were souvenir shopping and coffee drinking oriented. At 15.40, we boarded the train back to Trieste and called it a day.


Despite having visited the city of water for the fifth time, it still never ceases to amaze me. Walking through the streets, the traveler is overtaken with a sense of urgency, as it is a well known fact that the city is sinking, and we are thus running out of time to discover all its beauty. Nevertheless, it is foolish to encase oneself in worry, for it is important to enjoy Venice in all its wondrous glory instead.

Is Venice on your bucket list?

x, Valens


2 comments:

  1. I guess I am one of them. I truly love your blog or more so your voice, your writing. I have been to Venice in the Winter and I have never forgotten my days there. it was over 10 years ago but I can still remember that Italian way of life, the artistic pungency, the overwhelming beauty it has. I was a student back then and all I had was a disposable camera with which I took a handful of pictures but if I close my eyes... it is all there - as it stayed imprinted in my memory. Lovely post. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm very happy to hear you enjoy my blog!
      Yes, it's true, Venice has a unique atmosphere that settles into a traveler's bones unbeknownst to them, which consecutively leaves them wanting more after having returned home. In a way, it's like a drug.
      I too own an analog camera, but photograph with it rarely, as I believe that it is only worthy of exceptional places.
      I'm happy to hear that I'm not the only one this city left in a daze!

      Delete